How To Tell Someone A Loved One Has Died
If a family member passes away, it becomes your responsibility to handle all the arrangements for the funeral service as well as inform family and friends about the occurance. It is crucial that you handle this task of informing everyone sensitively.
How you break this news to them will stay in their minds for a long time. It can be a little challenging for you to tell someone that a loved one has passed away. Here are some steps that you can follow why breaking this news:
- When it comes to telling family members that live very close to your home, you should make it a point to break this news to them in person rather than over the phone.
- In the case of family members that live far away - in another town city or country, you would have to use some other medium to inform them about the death. You can make a phone call or even call them over Skype or any other video calling service. This will lend a personal touch and will give them some comfort since they are able to see you face-to-face.
- When you are calling people who are very sensitive and emotional, it is best to allocate some additional time to make those calls. It can be a little stressful to speak with such individuals, especially when you are grieving as well.
- When you are speaking to family members in person, try to find the spot where would be no interruptions. This will allow them to vent their feelings without feeling embarrassed in any way.
- It's best to be direct while giving someone this news. This is especially true when you are speaking with children. Do not beat around the bush, but do not be harsh either. Inform them in a matter of fact way that the person has passed away.