Choosing the Perfect Songs for the Funeral Service
When planning a funeral service, it is often considered appropriate to play some type of music. Music can add a touch of softness to any service, and bring comfort to those who are attending. However, how do you know which is the perfect song for a funeral service? Here are a few tips:
- Did the decedent have a favorite song or band? Many people choose to play something that reminds them of this person. Or they play a song that their loved one wanted or was a huge fan of.
- Be sure that the lyrics are appropriate! This is a huge tip! Never play something that can make a room feel angry or be something that they become upset over. Listen to the lyrics before choosing this song.
- The entire family should talk about what music choice to utilize. Hopefully, everyone can agree. However, if it makes someone uncomfortable, then it may be best to avoid this song.
- You can’t go wrong with classical music, as there are no lyrics to offend anyone. And classical music is often very soothing to those who hear it.
- You can opt for hymns that the person loved or makes you think about the person.
- Remember that you do not have to have enough music to fill the entire ceremony. Many people prefer a few moments of silence to let everyone mourn on their own.
If you are still struggling with the music selection, a funeral director can be a great source of information. He or she can let you know what others have chosen in the past, or what the best route would be. Here at Tindall Funeral Home, we are here to help you in any way that we can, including what music would be best suited for a funeral.