1921 West Genesee Street | Syracuse, New York 13204
Why Do I Need A Funeral Home If I Only Want Cremation?
At Tindall Funeral Home, many clients that choose cremation ask us this question. Some families wonder if they still need the help of a funeral home as the practice of direct cremation becomes more common. This may vary from state to state and cremation service to service, depending on whether or not they have their own crematory.
Why You Require A Funeral Home Even If You Want Cremation
Whether or not a funeral director is necessary by law differs from state to state. Most states do not require a funeral director so you can plan everything independently.
However, some jurisdictions require a funeral director's involvement to handle the death certificate, funeral service papers, and transportation authorizations. A funeral director must be present to file the death certificate and disposition of the body.
Other Factors Why Working With A Funeral Home Matters
Some aspects to keep in view include the following:
- A direct cremation is when the funeral home takes care of nothing but the cremation itself.
- There will be no viewing, visitation, or memorial service.
- Transfer of the mortal remains mortuary or crematorium occurs after death. They will rest for a few days while the family completes the paperwork and acquires the necessary licenses.
- Once the necessary paperwork has been filed, a basic cremation container can be utilized.
- As a last step, the cremated ashes are returned to the family in a temporary urn.
- The funeral director is in charge of arranging transportation for the deceased and helping the family with the papers required for said coroner's report.
A funeral home's services for cremation are the bare minimum that is required. Since the cost of direct cremation is very low, the "entry point," the funeral home, only offers the most fundamental of services. It would be best if you asked the funeral home of your choice whether they have different direct cremation packages available.
Concierge services provide direct cremation and extra services, such as copies of the death certificate, the obituary notice, and premium cremation urns.
If you need to plan a funeral service or need details about cremations or our pre-need services, please call the Tindall Funeral Home experts at (315) 468-5521. We are here to help when you need it and assure you of a 24-hour personal response. You can also contact us by email or drop by our office for more details about cremation and funeral services.