Dealing with Unresolved Grief
For the majority of us, mourning is a period of sadness and discomfort that progressively subsides as we come to terms with our experience and move forward. Grief is the feeling of reaching for somebody familiar and discovering that they have vanished. It's the feelings we experience when everything we've known changes.
At Tindall Funeral Home we know that each person's experience of grieving is unique. Common mourning symptoms include diminished attention, numbness, altered sleep and eating routines, and an emotional roller coaster. While grieving may resemble and feel like depression, that is not the same thing - it is grief!
However, for some, the loss might result in such profound emotional turmoil that it never subsides, leaving them to struggle with unresolved grief. These individuals may take years to come to terms with the new reality and remain stuck.
The Best Way To Handle Unresolved Grief
Counseling for grieving can help you heal, regardless of the type of sadness you are experiencing. It can help you progress through the phases of sorrow rather than being trapped. However, it is especially beneficial for individuals who have unresolved sorrow. Counseling can entail the following:
1) Recognize your own grieving reactions and the indications of unresolved/complicated sorrow
2) Role-playing imaginary talks with the departed, emphasizing the facts of their death and any underlying sentiments. You can delve into good recollections of your loved one, therefore reducing your avoidance of the subject.
Effective Coping Techniques
There are many ways in which you can cope with unresolved grief, such as:
- Participate in a support group
- Include self-care activities such as a nutritious diet, physical activity, and adequate rest.
- Keep in touch with friends and family
- Plan ahead for anniversaries and other occasions that serve as reminders of the loss
- Participate in spiritual activities
- Rather than suppressing emotional discomfort, process it (with a therapist, spiritual counselor, or diary).
Address your unresolved grief as soon as possible, before it disrupts your life. For more information on cremation, pre-planning services, or advice, contact Tindall Funeral Home at (315) 468-5521.